Sunday, September 03, 2006

Washing Machine Sunday Frenzy

Last weekend, I did 2 weeks worth of my laundry. I washed the whites first. (I have this false belief that washing the colors first will spoil my whites.) Then I washed the colors, which was mostly composed of colored trousers, skirts and jeans. I was reading a book quite happily throughout this ordinary chore when the machine just suddenly made very ugly noises. I was panicked. I didn't know what to do. I grabbed the user's manual and zoned in on a warning: "...hair pins, buttons and the like can cause extensive damage to the machine..." Flashes of an orange top nicely embroidered with medium-sized white sea shells danced in my memory - visions of a shell coming loose and going into the holes of the spinner. For a split second there while loading the machine, about to throw in the article of clothing in discussion, I actually paused to think: "Maybe I should just hand wash this." But the lazy switch in my brain just controlled my wrist as I flipped it in with the rest of the load. I actually loved that shirt! Oh and by the way, while I'm thinking this, my machine is getting damaged! Flashes of work men taking it away as soon as I find the warranty from somewhere in my messy files brought tears in my eyes. It's hard enough being alone here but to have to wash my clothes by hand in the next few weeks while waiting for the replacement added more stress in my already stressful life! This is why I miss my mom so much! I should have listened to her more often!

I tried opening the wachine machine door even if I know all the detergent and water will flow out of it but I was desperate. The noise really sounded terrible. But no matter how hard I yanked, it remained closed. I grabbed the manual again, this machine is too intelligent. The door will only open 3 minutes after the power turns off. The power turns off only after it finishes washing the load!!! I looked at the timer. 15 minutes. Okay, I will wait this out. 14...13...26!!! Whaaat! Why....manual says: "This machine is equipped with a Fuzzy Logic feauture...." This reminded me of a scene in "Shake, Rattle and Roll" where the refrigerator ate the head of a stupid extra. Anyway, so this machine is programmed with artificial intelligence -- one that is going haywire
because of those shells!!!

How do I turn off the power...my eyes went over to the power chord...I pulled it out of it's socket, the machine died and I heard the water drain out. I waited for 3 minutes. The door finally opened. The first thing I grabbed out was the orange shirt. The embroidery was...intact!!! Suddenly, I remembered pulling out two hair pins from my hair last night and stashing them in my... jeans pocket!!! More panicked now, I took out the entire load. I thought I was too late, the pins may have
already penetrated into the bowels of my beloved machine's innermost mechansim!!! Luck was on my side that day...I found the two hair pins stuck in different places in the spinner.

These two hair pins are now permanently enshrined on my washing machine. It's still working perfectly but I know it's stomach has suffered major scratching! These two hairpins will be a constant reminder that I really should be more vigilant next time. Looooong sigh.....!!!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home